This is related to my last post! This is the shapes that brands typically release that I was talking about. Some of these are maybe sort of borderline (most of which would depend on the length of the skirt, which is very hard to tell in stock photos sometimes), and to repeat how these shapes are defined:
- The usual- The traditional Lolita shape! Flares out at the natural waist (or just above or below it) to a full shape.
- empire waist- The waist is considerably higher than the natural waist, usually between the underbust or the middle of the torso. Skirt still maintains a full shape
- Short- Full skirt that ends about mid-thigh
- Long- Full skirt that ends about mid-calf (also called tea or maiden length)
- Trapezoid- Flares out to full shape from just above bust or about halfway down bust. “Tent” shape.
- Trapezoid relaxed- Flares out from above bust to underbust, “flowing” or not-as-full skirt. “Tube” shape, no room for a petticoat.
- Drop waist- Skirt flares out at about the hips, as opposed to the waist. May or may not have room for a petticoat.
- Drop waist mini- Skirt flares out at the hips, as opposed to the waist, and is very short, usually mid-thigh or even shorter. No room for a petticoat.
- Flared- A smooth, non-gathered, flare from the natural waist, considerably less full than “the usual”. May or may not have room for a petticoat.
- Flared mini- A smooth, non-gathered, flare from the natural waist that ends about mid-thigh. No room for a petticoat.
- Extra long- Ankle to floor length of varying fullness. May or may not require a petticoat.
- Pencil- Tight skirt of various lengths between mid thigh and knee. Absolutely no petticoat.
Just like in the last post, I’m curious what people think of these skirt shapes in regards to whether or not they are Lolita. With the examples, are there any that you would say are simply not Lolita, even though they’re released by Lolita brands and have typical Lolita elements? All of these are examples from a range of years, some as far back as 2001, but each example has at least one dress from 2009 or after (except the extra long, even though Meta and JeJ often release things in this length! I just had a hard time finding stock photos for either brand), as none of these are “extinct” silhouettes.
I’m not trying to argue that these are all perfectly within the Lolita style or anything like that! I am just asking because I am curious what other people’s opinions on different silhouettes within Lolita are! So what do you think?